Discover L.A.

Discover L.A. - The American Language Center (ALC) - UCLA Extension

Mark's class, Welcome to Discover L.A. February 2019!

You chose a fantastic class to improve your English and you're going to have lots of fun while you're doing it!  Begin by introducing yourself here to me and your classmates. Where are you from and what are your interests? Then reply to 3 of your classmates' discussions. I'll start.

I'm Mark and I'm from Houston, Texas. I moved to Los Angeles over 25 years ago. In my free time I play guitar and watch Youtube clips and read classic literature. I love teaching English as a second language. I think life is about relationships and I so enjoy connecting with my students. Each class is like a family. I teach Spanish-speaking immigrants English mornings and nights.

All of my family lives in Texas and I visit at least four times a year for a total of about 2 months - another benefit of being a teacher. (Lots of vacation time!) I'm excited about meeting you!!

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Riko!! Yes, the mountain and the big Hollywood sign is quite an attraction. And BTW, who IS your favorite singer?

Some grammar points:

My hobby is to listen to music. 

Riko Watanabe(MM) said:

Hi, I'm Riko. I'm from Japan and 18 years old. I'm interested in a lot of places in LA. Especially Hollywood. I really want to see the big mountain with "Hollywood" and many studios there. I like American movies, so I'm looking forward to enjoying many places in Hollywood. Also I want to visit the Getty Center. Because I don't have any images about the place. what it is like, where, and how beautiful. I want to know a lot about the Getty Center. Now, I major in international communication in Japanese university. It teach me a lot of ways of communication with people in other countries. There are many differences among different countries and we have to communicate each other. Therefore, I want to try it hard in LA. My hobby is to listen music. In my free time, I listen to the songs of my favorite singer

Hi, Aki!! You'll go crazy at The Getty if you're into museums. 

Some grammar points:

..in LA's beautiful views and museums. 

Akitoshi Yasuda (MM) said:

Hello! My name is Akitoshi Yasuda. I'm from Tokyo Japan. If Akitoshi is difficult to remember, please call me Aki. I'm interested in LA's beautiful view and museums.

More than fun, Risa! You'll love L.A. Where did you go in Hawaii? What were your favorite and least favorite things?

Risa Kubota(MM) said:

Hi, Mark.

I'm Risa Kubota. I'm from Japan,Tokyo. But I was born and grew up in Hiroshima.My hobby is listening to music and watching movies and watching volleyball games. My favorite singer is The chain smokers.

I have been to Hawaii but I have never been anyplace in Los Angeles, so I'll be fun.

Hi, I am Yusuke and I am from Japan. It's has been just a couple of days since I came to LA. So, I'm excited about anythig that I have never seen before. Please let me know the good sightseeing if you have. Also, my hobby is eating, but after I arrived here, I am always having something rich, so I wanna health food. in this class, I'm looking forward to going to any famous places with you. 

Ok! I understand. Thank you, Mark!
Mark Mabray said:

Hi, Ariana!! So nice to have you in the class! Kindergarten!! Oh, my! You must have a lot of patience!

Some grammar points:

Use periods instead of commas in these cases because you're separating independent clauses.
..for a long time. I just forgot!.....I don't understand what people are saying. I'm really sorry.

Ariana(MM) said:

Hello everyone:

My name is Ariana, from Taiwan, and I graduated from the Department of Business Design and the Department of Child Care.

I used to be a kindergarten teacher in Taiwan, teaching children Chinese and art.

I like music, film, design, art, fashion and travel... I have been to Korea, China, Macau, Thailand and Japan.

This time I came to Los Angeles to study English, because I haven't studied English for a long time, I just forgot! I often don't understand what everyone is saying, I am really sorry!

I am very happy to know everyone! Learn English together at UCLA and make progress together! If you want to travel to LA or learn Chinese, you can come and join me! Haha.....

Rikito~ Ok! No problem. I am happy to share Taiwan information with you. Welcome to Taiwan!
Rikito Kitamura(MM) said:

Hi,my name is Rikito.when I read your introduction, I think you have great experience in Taiwan and also think I wanna go to Taiwan someday,because I have never been to Taiwan.Please tell me more about Taiwan if we have opportunity.

Ariana(MM) said:

Hello everyone:

My name is Ariana, from Taiwan, and I graduated from the Department of Business Design and the Department of Child Care.

I used to be a kindergarten teacher in Taiwan, teaching children Chinese and art.

I like music, film, design, art, fashion and travel... I have been to Korea, China, Macau, Thailand and Japan.

This time I came to Los Angeles to study English, because I haven't studied English for a long time, I just forgot! I often don't understand what everyone is saying, I am really sorry!

I am very happy to know everyone! Learn English together at UCLA and make progress together! If you want to travel to LA or learn Chinese, you can come and join me! Haha.....

Hello Chie~ I also like children very much, I think children are very cute. To be a good mother needs love to grow up with the children.

Chie Suzuki(MM) said:

你好。我是來自日本的Chie。我覺得有工作經驗很好。我愛孩子所以請告訴我如何成長孩子,並成為一個好母親。

阿麗亞娜(MM)說:

大家好:

我的名字是來自台灣的Ariana,我畢業於商業設計系和兒童保育系。

我曾經是台灣的幼兒園老師,教孩子們中文和藝術。

我喜歡音樂,電影,設計,藝術,時尚和旅行......我去過韓國,中國,澳門,泰國和日本。

這次我來洛杉磯學習英語,因為我很久沒學過英語,我只是忘了!我經常不明白每個人都在說什麼,我真的很抱歉!

我很高興認識大家!在加州大學洛杉磯分校一起學習英語,共同進步!如果你想去洛杉磯或學習中文,你可以加入我吧!哈哈.....

Hi, Ariana. I'm Haru. I read your introduction and I Iremembered memories in Taiwan. I traveled to Taiwan two years ago. There are many Taiwanese food, traditional building and bautiful landscapes. I especially like pineapple cake. It is very very delicious!! If we have time, please tell me detail about Taiwan : )

Ariana(MM) said:

Hello everyone:

Hi Haruka!I'm Chie.I live in near our university so let's go shopping, go to cinema,and so on after we come back to Tokyo!

Let's enjoy our stay in LA,too!!

Haruka Okano(MM) said:

Hi, everyone!My name is Haruka Okano. My calling name is HARU. I'm from Chiba, near Tokyo in Japan.

I'm a university student and I'm majoring Marketing and Management. In my free time I like to walk around my university, for example Shibuya, Omotesando and Harajuku. I like to take a walk with my friends, too. So I'm so excited to go field work in this class. Nice to meet you :)

i'm Azam and i'm from Jazan, Saudi Arabia. i have been in Los Angeles for 1 year. I came here to study English and ophthalmology. I like LA, i have many things to do here. In my free time i like go shopping and watch movies. I'd like visit many places here when i have free time.  

Hi Sijia, Nice to meet you. i hope your English will improve.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Adam Rado.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service