Discover L.A.

Discover L.A. - The American Language Center (ALC) - UCLA Extension

Mark's class, Welcome to Discover L.A. February 2019!

You chose a fantastic class to improve your English and you're going to have lots of fun while you're doing it!  Begin by introducing yourself here to me and your classmates. Where are you from and what are your interests? Then reply to 3 of your classmates' discussions. I'll start.

I'm Mark and I'm from Houston, Texas. I moved to Los Angeles over 25 years ago. In my free time I play guitar and watch Youtube clips and read classic literature. I love teaching English as a second language. I think life is about relationships and I so enjoy connecting with my students. Each class is like a family. I teach Spanish-speaking immigrants English mornings and nights.

All of my family lives in Texas and I visit at least four times a year for a total of about 2 months - another benefit of being a teacher. (Lots of vacation time!) I'm excited about meeting you!!

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm Sijia Fan and I'm from China. I come to UCLA to improve my English for I just want to speak like a native speaker. I think it is cool! This is my first time to come to LA, and I can't wait to visit Disney, Hollywood, Beverly Hills and so on. I'm looking forward to having a good time with all of my classmates to travel these places! 

Hi,my name is Rikito and I'm from japan.I'm 22 years old now. my hobby is listening to music and singing a song.Now,I'm university student in Japan and I'm majoring in social science in my school.The reason why I come to US is I'm really interested in American culture.In this opportunity, I want to know more about that kind of things and experience many things which can't experience in Japan.

Hi, I'm Keita. I'm from Tokyo, Japan. I'm majoring in English and American literature there. I really like to play and watch baseball! I live in Tokyo alone for university, and my family now lives in Hokkaido. This place is known as one of the coldest place in Japan and it snows a lot in winter. So, I also like skiing and skating! Furthermore, I really like listening to music. I often listen to Rock and DJ. Then, I came here LA to improve my English, so I'll do my best in the class! Nice to see you Mark!

Hello everyone:

My name is Ariana, from Taiwan, and I graduated from the Department of Business Design and the Department of Child Care.

I used to be a kindergarten teacher in Taiwan, teaching children Chinese and art.

I like music, film, design, art, fashion and travel... I have been to Korea, China, Macau, Thailand and Japan.

This time I came to Los Angeles to study English, because I haven't studied English for a long time, I just forgot! I often don't understand what everyone is saying, I am really sorry!

I am very happy to know everyone! Learn English together at UCLA and make progress together! If you want to travel to LA or learn Chinese, you can come and join me! Haha.....

Hi, my name is Keita Kawanishi, Maybe, we were in the same class in the morning today. I was called "K.K" in that class. I also came here to improve my English, so i'll do my best during the class! I'm also looking forward to having a good time with these great classmates here!

Sijia Fan said:

I'm Sijia Fan and I'm from China. I come to UCLA to improve my English for I just want to speak like a native speaker. I think it is cool! This is my first time to come to LA, and I can't wait to visit Disney, Hollywood, Beverly Hills and so on. I'm looking forward to having a good time with all of my classmates to travel these places! 

Hi! I'm Chie Suzuki. Nice to meet you.

I am from Japan. I was born in Miyagi,but live in Tokyo and go to Aoyama Gakuin University now. In Miyagi,the big earthquakes and tsunami called "higashinihon daisinsai" happened about 8 years ago.It was so scared.

I am studying  law and want to be a lawyer in the future.

I've been to east coast of America 2 times,but I've never been to west coast. So I am glad to come to LA very much and I want to study English hard.Though I will stay here for about only 1 month, please get along with me.

Hi keita, I'm Rikito.your story of this introduction is so interesting for me,so now I think I want to go to Hokkaido someday.

Keita Kawanishi(MM) said:

Hi, I'm Keita. I'm from Tokyo, Japan. I'm majoring in English and American literature there. I really like to play and watch baseball! I live in Tokyo alone for university, and my family now lives in Hokkaido. This place is known as one of the coldest place in Japan and it snows a lot in winter. So, I also like skiing and skating! Furthermore, I really like listening to music. I often listen to Rock and DJ. Then, I came here LA to improve my English, so I'll do my best in the class! Nice to see you Mark!

Hi, everyone!My name is Haruka Okano. My calling name is HARU. I'm from Chiba, near Tokyo in Japan.

I'm a university student and I'm majoring Marketing and Management. In my free time I like to walk around my university, for example Shibuya, Omotesando and Harajuku. I like to take a walk with my friends, too. So I'm so excited to go field work in this class. Nice to meet you :)

Hi, I'm K.K. I am also Japanese student. Your hobby is singing a song, right? So, I'd like to go to karaoke with you someday! I like singing a song too! 

Rikito Kitamura(MM) said:

Hi,my name is Rikito and I'm from japan.I'm 22 years old now. my hobby is listening to music and singing a song.Now,I'm university student in Japan and I major social science in my school.The reason why I come to US is I'm really interested in American culture.In this opportunity, I want to know more about that kind of things and experience many things which can't experience in Japan.

Hi,I'm Rikito.Now I read your introduction and I think I wanna go to China because I have never been to China.I'm really interested in Chinese calture,so if we have time, please tell me more about China.

Sijia Fan said:

Hi. I'm Chie from Japan. I think it is nice to have experiences of working. I love children so please tell me how to grow children and be a good mother someday.

Ariana(MM) said:

Hello everyone:

My name is Ariana, from Taiwan, and I graduated from the Department of Business Design and the Department of Child Care.

I used to be a kindergarten teacher in Taiwan, teaching children Chinese and art.

I like music, film, design, art, fashion and travel... I have been to Korea, China, Macau, Thailand and Japan.

This time I came to Los Angeles to study English, because I haven't studied English for a long time, I just forgot! I often don't understand what everyone is saying, I am really sorry!

I am very happy to know everyone! Learn English together at UCLA and make progress together! If you want to travel to LA or learn Chinese, you can come and join me! Haha.....

Hello,everyone! My name is ray. I come from China.  I am so glad to meet you excellent guys in UCLA. This is the first time I have been to America, everything is so fresh and fantastic to me. In my spare time, I love to do sports with my friends, like basketball and swimming! I love to play computer games, like League Of Legends or Hearthstone, and I love to make friends who come from different countries, so welcome to be my friends! You can say whatever you want, your hobbies, your majors and so on. I really hope we could be good friends in the future.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Adam Rado.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service